Posted: May 2, 2016 at 9:52 am, Last Updated: February 27, 2017 at 3:27 pm
Commencement Weekend is an exciting time for everyone to celebrate the achievements of our graduating students. We encourage families of graduating students to attend and participate in weekend traditions. We look forward to celebrating with you!
A detailed schedule with the times and locations of all the convocation and commencement ceremonies.
All ceremonies will last approximately 2 hours
Learn about the main Commencement ceremony.
The ceremony includes remarks by the Commencement speaker, Governor Terry McAuliffe, University President Ángel Cabrera and the student Commencement speaker. Several awards are presented and degrees are conferred. All graduates are recognized in groups by degree or undergraduate major. (The convocation ceremonies are a more intimate setting for each department to recognize students individually. Most students will receive their diplomas at that time.)
- Commencement begins at 10:00 a.m. with the Academic Procession
- Located in EagleBank Arena
- Disability accommodations are available. Please let an usher know of your specific needs.
- Event streaming providing here
You may also go to gmutv.gmu.edu day of Commencement as well as after to view it and the Convocations.
- Doors open one hour before the start of the Academic Procession
All guests attending the main ceremony in EagleBank Arena should be seated by 9:45 a.m., so please plan accordingly and give yourself extra travel time.
Concessions will be sold before, during and after the ceremony. Most convocation ceremonies will include light refreshments.
Please allow plenty of extra time when coming to and leaving campus since there will be heavy traffic approaching and leaving campus in all directions up to an hour before and an hour after each ceremony. Find maps and routes to help you get on and around campus.
If you wish to park and walk to the EagleBank Arena, a number of lots are available. Complimentary parking is available in all general areas and the visitor area of Mason Pond Parking Deck (Levels 1-2) for convocations and commencement. Attendants will be directing traffic to open and available parking.
- Complimentary parking will be available in the permit areas of Rappahannock River Parking Deck
- A limited amount of complimentary parking will also be available Wednesday-Saturday in the permit levels (Levels 2-5) of Shenandoah Parking Deck
- Download the Mason Mobile App to get walking and driving directions to your event!
- Since convocations are scheduled at the EagleBank Arena and Concert Hall simultaneously, parking on the southern end of campus, including lots A, C, J, K, L, and the Mason Pond Deck will be extremely busy.
- Shuttle service from Vienna Metro is available via the Mason-Metro, Metro Express, and City of Fairfax CUE (fare required without Mason ID). Schedules can be found at shuttle.gmu.edu.
- It is strongly recommended for Mason faculty and staff to park on the north end of campus, including the Rappahannock River Parking Deck and access campus via University Drive and Roberts Road to avoid the heaviest traffic.
For Mason Parking updates, follow @MasonParking (http://twitter.com/MasonParking) on Twitter.
511 Virginia, a toll-free phone service (owned by the Virginia Department of Transportation) can be called for real-time traffic conditions or followed at @511northernva (http://twitter.com/511northernva) on Twitter.
Write to Rachel Lubar at email@example.com